Skiing Elbrouz's wild side
Day 1 Moscou - Piatigorsk
Departure from Paris. When in Moscow, we continue our travel to Mineralnye Vody. From there, we'll be transferred to Piatigorsk (30km) where we'll spend the night in a hotel.
Accommodation : Hotel
Day 2 Piatigorsk - Djilisu (2300 m)
Around 100km separates Piatigorsk from Djilisu : this will take us 3 to 4h to arrive. The road is long, starting on a tarred road (1h) and then on a track. We'll finally arrive and settle in the refuge at 2300m altitude for two nights.
Positive difference in altitude : 1100m | Negative difference in altitude : 1100m | Altitude Max : 3650m | Accommodation : Refuge
Day 3 Acclimatization
Acclimatization day in which we will climb up to the Uncle Nik refuge at 3760m. To have a good night sleep, we'll get back down to Djilisu to spend the night at the camp.
Accommodation : refuge
Day 4 Djilisu - 'Uncle Nik' refuge
Today is our departure day : we get to the 'Uncle Nik' refuge at 3750m, and it will be our base camp from now on, surrounded by ice.
Our bags are loaded because we are carrying our personal belongings for 5 days.
Positive difference in altitude : 1200m | Altitude Max : 3750m | Accommodation : Refuge
Days 5 to 6 Acclimatization in altitude
We climb in high altitude today, in direction of the Eastside peak, at around 4800m.
Positive difference in altitude : 1000m | Negative difference in altitude : 1000m | Altitude Max : 4800m | Accommodation : Refuge
Day 7 Elbrouz ascent (5641 m)
Today is the big ascent day ! Thus, we wake up very early in the morning to start our trek towards the summit, walking on tilted slopes (30 to 35°) and firstly joining "Lens Rock" (stone camp). We then make it to Sedloy (5400m), between the East and West summits, where we encounter mountain climbers arriving from the normal path.
We have to compose ourselves to glean the 200 and a few meters remaining before the top. And here we are, at the 'Top of Europe', enjoying our victory and breathing in the incredible breathtaking view.
We will finally get back down to the refuge to rest our weary feet and have a well deserved relaxing night.
Positive difference in altitude : 1900m | Negative difference in altitude : 1900m | Altitude Max : 5641m | Accommodation : Refuge
Day 8 Safety day
If weather conditions aren't good, we'll ascend Elbrouz on this extra day. We can also use this day as a rest day. The skills and knowledge of our guide will allow us to ascend safely the summit, depending on the groups capacity and on weather conditions.
Accommodation : Refuge
Day 9 'Uncle Nik' refuge - Djilisu - Piatigorsk
We descend to get back to the Djilisu base camp from where 4X4 are waiting for us to get us back to Piatigorsk where we spend the night.
Negative difference in altitude : 1200m | Altitude Max : 3780m | Accommodation : Hotel
Day 10 Piatigorsk - Paris
In the middle of the day, we get to the airport to hop on our flight back to Moscow and finally to Paris. We'll say goodby after a wonderful trek together, our heads full of unforgettable memories.
Dates & prices
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
Trip code: SRRELN
- The technical organization of the stay
- Mountaineering with high-mountain guides
- International and domestic flights, flight taxes
- Planned transfers
- Accommodation in hotels or refuges
- Meals except in Piatigorsk and Moscow
- Collective equipment
- Services from a local team
- The Russian visa
- Individual technical equipment
- Meals in town (Piatigorsk, Moscow)
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Sightseeing and activities non included in the program
- Luggage supplement (ski cover)
- Insurance / assistance : research fees and helicopter rescue, hospitalisation and repatriation mandatory
- Registration fees : 18€/person
Terms and conditions
- More than 30 days before departure, you will be charged for the amount of 50€
- From 30 to 21 days before departure, you will be charged for the amount of the deposit (30% of the trip’s price)
- From 20 to 14 days before departure, you will be charged for 50% of the trip’s price
- From 13 to 7 days before departure, you will be charged for 75% of the trip’s priceLess than 7 days before departure, you will be charged for the whole trip’s price
- Airline fixed costs: plane tickets are bought in advance to avoid too high airline prices, however they are non refundable in case of cancellation or plan changes. In that case, the charges above apply to the price of your trip without the plane ticket’s price
- Ground fixed costs: you will be charged for the fees that were paid early
- Insurance fees: Insurance fees will not be refunded if you have subscribed to a multi-risk or cancellation insurance. The specific conditions will be written on your subscription confirmationIf you have no choice but to cancel your trip before departure, you must inform Montagne Expeditions and your insurance provider with a written statement as soon as possible, you will get a receipt.
Changes to travel contract
- Very good quality and tasty local food, meals are prepared by chefs : they are excellent !
- Take some snacks according to your own tastes (cereals bars, chocolate bars, dry fruits,…).
- We advise you to bring some water purification tablets (Aquatabs or Micropur) in order to drink tap water.
- Personal drinks are not included in the trip's price
- Bring cash for coffees, fruit juices, coke or beers during breaks…
- We advise you to bring protection against noise (ear plugs).
- A few electrical plugs are available in refuges, but plan to bring an external battery to charge your camera and switch off your phone during the day.
- 1 pair of hiking shoes with skis, poles and knifes
- 1 harness + 2 carabiners + 1 swivel carabiner + 2 cords
- 1 pair of gaiters
- 1 ice axe
- 1 ice anchor
- 1 pair of crampons
- 1 avalanche transceiver + 1 shovel + 1 probe
- 1 duvet sleeping bag (double thickness / -15°C)
- 1 foam mattress with closed air cell
- 1 safety blanket
- 1 headlamp + long lasting batteries + extra bulb
- 1 pair of glacier sunglasses with nose protector + 1 extra pair
- 1 thermos (1.5L)
- Sunscreen (total protection) + after sun cream
- Total protection lip balm + after sun lip balm
- 2 100L bin bags
- 1 waterproof pouch in which you will put your identity papers, your phone, your money and your insurance/assistance contract with all of your emergency phone numbers
- 1 wool bonnet
- 1 silk balaklava + 1 shawl
- 1 pair of wool or thermolactyl underwear (tee-shirt and pants)
- 1 polar jumper
- 1 pair of mountain rousers
- 1 duvet jacket
- 1 Goretex jacket
- 1 pair of Goretex trousers (or equivalent)
- 2 pair of thick wool gloves + 1 pair of silk gloves
- 3 pairs of thick wool socks
- 2 pair of thin socks
- Sports clothes for small walks
- 1 pair of light trekking shoes
- 1 pair of swimming trunks
- 1 sowing kit
- 1 heavy and compact bag (50-60L backpack)
- 1 check-in bagage (under 20kg)
- 1 cover for the skis
- Personal medicine
- Pain reliever (preferably paracetamol)
- Double skin
- Local disinfectant
- Intestinal antiseptic
- Light sleeping pills
- Broad spectrum antibiotic
- Vitamins C
- Most of our accommodations are run by locals, thus ensuring that the largest part of the revenue generated through your trip will stay within the region.
- France is known for its exquisite cuisine. The art of cooking and the joy of eating are part of everyday life. Each region has its particular foods and flavors which we would like you to explore and appreciate.
- Water is a precious and rare good. Our team and those travelling with us are thus advised to use it with consideration and avoid excessive water use where possible.
- Please try to recycle your waste whenever possible, even though recycling may not be a well-known concept in all areas.
- Be cautious and respectful when hiking. Make sure to wear suitable footwear and avoid picking flowers, moving stones or lighting fires.