Day 1 Flight Paris - Mineralny Vody - Vladikavkaz
Departure from Paris to Mineralny Vody. Welcoming at the airport followed by a transfer to Vladikavkaz : 215km and around 3h drive.
Diner is planned on route.
Accommodation : Hotel
Day 2 Tmenikau - Base camp
We start our day with a 35km transfer from Vladikavkaz to Tmenikau, small village at 1750m high. After passeport and permits control, we'll have a traditional Ossetian meal prepared by our guides. From there starts our 12km trek leading us to the base camp in the valley of Karmadon, at 2450m.
Near our camp are two hot springs allowing us to have a nice bath !
Positive difference in altitude : around 700m | Accommodation : Camp
Day 3 Ascent to Camp 1
We start today walking in direction of the Maili glacier and its West ridge. There are a few passages where a fixed rope will help us with our ascent. We'll arrive at the Camp 1 at 3400m high.
Positive difference in altitude : around 1000m | Accommodation : Camp 1
Day 4 Camp 2 at 4150m and Polyakov
Through rocks, stones and snow, the ascent towards Camp 2 at 4150m is difficult. We will take advantage of our afternoon to ascend Polyakov at 4270m to train and acclimatize.
Positive difference in altitude : around 900m | Negative difference in altitude : around 200m | Accommodation : Camp 2
Day 5 Maili Glacier
Acclimatization day which we'll take advantage of to do a few technical revisitions on the Maili glacier (without ascending to the top to avoid spending all of our energy unnecessarily) before returning to Camp 2 to spend the night.
Those who prefer can stay at the camp and rest before the next day's ascent.
Accommodation : Camp
Day 6 Mount Kazbek 5033m
Today is the ascent day of Kazbek at 5033m ! After a fairly gentle beginning through the glacier, slopes are getting steeper right up to the top. We'll admire the amazing view on the Caucasus landscapes surrounding us. On the other side is Georgia and West stands Elbrouz. We did it, and we'll celebrat once we are back at the Camp 2.
Positive difference in altitude : around 900m | Negative difference in altitude : around 900m | Accommodation : Camp 2
Day 7 Spare day
This day can be used in case of base weather on the previous day for the ascent. If the ascent is on this day, we can also cut the very long descent in 2 steps.
Accommodation : camp
Day 8 Return to Vladikavkaz
Descent to Tmenikau and transfer to the hotel in Vladikavkaz to spend a well deserved night.
Negative difference in altitude : around 2400m | Accommodation : hotel
Day 9 Hathansu : base camp of Elbruz
From Vladikavkaz, around 400km (around 6h30 drive) are separating us from Hathansu where is located the base camp of Elbruz. We settle our tents in the middle of the pasture at 2500m high and enjoy the breath taking landscape.
Accommodation : Tent
Day 10 Uncle Nick refuge
Here is the great start : we get to the "Uncle Nick" refuge at 3760m using a good pathway. It will now be our base, surrounded with ice.
Positive difference in altitude : around 1200m | Accommodation : Uncle Nick refuge
Day 11 Acclimatization
On a long walk on a flat terrain, we join an immense glacial plateau names Djikaughenkez and bordered by prominences at the Southeast from where we will have an incredible point of view on the Baksan valley and the central part of the mountain chain which, South, forms the frontier with Georgia.
Positive difference in altitude : around 700m | Negative difference in altitude : around 700m | Accommodation : Uncle Nick refuge
Day 12 Elbruz 5641m
Very early wake up to trek towards the summit on fairly steep slopes. Arrival to Sedloy (5400m) between East and West peaks. We meet with other mountaineers arriving from the Normal Route. We have to put in all of our energy to finish those 200m separating us from the top and finally reach the summit plateau. Here we are, at the top of Europe !
We descend on the same itinerary to the refuge.
Positive difference in altitude : around 1900m | Negative difference in altitude : around 1900m | Accommodation : Refuge
Day 13 Spare day
In case of bad weather on the previous day, we still have the opportunity to attempt reaching the summit on this spare day to guarantee a success !
Accommodation : Refuge
Day 14 Piatigorsk
Descent to Hathansu and transfer to Piatigorsk by the valley of Malka.
Negative difference in altitude : 1200m | Accommodation : Hotel
Day 15 Spare day in Piatigorsk
Sightseeing day in Piatigorsk or, if necessary, this day can be used as a spare day for Elbruz according to conditions.
Departure for France in the night from the airport of Myneralny Vodi 30km away from Piatigorsk.
Day 16 France
Flight from Myneralny Vodi to Moscow and then to Paris. We land late in the morning (depending on the chosen flights). We say goodbye to each other after a wonderful adventure with our heads full of memories.
Dates & prices
No departure for now
Trip code: VKZELB
- A french high mountain guide's supervision
- International and domestic flights + aerial taxes
- Ground transfers mentioned in the itinerary
- Every accommodation (hotels, lodges, refuge or camp)
- Meals except in Piatigorsk
- Parc taxes
- Collective equipment
- A professional cook
- The Russian visa (around 190€)
- Meals in town (Piatigorsk)
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Visits or activities non included in the program
- Insurance and assistance
- Registration fees : 18€/person
Terms and conditions
- More than 30 days before departure, you will be charged for the amount of 50€
- From 30 to 21 days before departure, you will be charged for the amount of the deposit (30% of the trip’s price)
- From 20 to 14 days before departure, you will be charged for 50% of the trip’s price
- From 13 to 7 days before departure, you will be charged for 75% of the trip’s priceLess than 7 days before departure, you will be charged for the whole trip’s price
- Airline fixed costs: plane tickets are bought in advance to avoid too high airline prices, however they are non refundable in case of cancellation or plan changes. In that case, the charges above apply to the price of your trip without the plane ticket’s price
- Ground fixed costs: you will be charged for the fees that were paid early
- Insurance fees: Insurance fees will not be refunded if you have subscribed to a multi-risk or cancellation insurance. The specific conditions will be written on your subscription confirmationIf you have no choice but to cancel your trip before departure, you must inform Montagne Expeditions and your insurance provider with a written statement as soon as possible, you will get a receipt.
Changes to travel contract
- Very good quality and tasty local food, meals are prepared by chefs : they are excellent !
- Take some snacks according to your own tastes (cereals bars, chocolate bars, dry fruits,…).
- We advise you to bring some water purification tablets (Aquatabs or Micropur) in order to drink tap water.
- Personal drinks are not included in the trip's price
- Bring cash for coffees, fruit juices, coke or beers during breaks…
- First aid kit
- Technical equipment
- 1 pair of alpinism boots
- 1 pair of gaiters
- 1 harness + 2 carabiners
- 1 ice axe
- 1 pair of crampons with antibott system
- 1 pair of telescopic poles
- 1 sleeping bag (double layers)
- 1 foam mattress or self inflating
- 1 safety cover
- 1 head lamp + long lasting batteries
- 1 pair of glacier sunglasses category 4 with nose protector + 1 extra pair
- 1 ski mask for the summit
- 1 1.5L thermos
- Hand heaters
- Sun cream + after sun cream (face and lips)
- 2 plastic bin bags (100L) to keep your bags waterproof
- 1 waterproof pouch in which you will put your identity papers, your phone, your money and your insurance/assistance contract with all of your emergency phone number
- Windstopper bonnet
- Hat or cap
- Neck scarf
- Sunscreen (high protection) for skin and lips
- Sunglasses for glacier category 4 + ski goggles
- 2 technical breathable long sleeve underwear type "Carline" (no coton which dries too slowly)
- 1 technical and breathable shirt to put under your jumper
- 1 thick fleece jacket
- 1 fuzz jacket
- 1 wind stopper and waterproof jacket type Goretex
- 1 pair of wind stopper mittens (fleece or wool)
- 1 pair of undergloves
- 1 technical and breathable pair of tights type "Carline"
- 1 pair of comfortable mountain trousers
- 1 pair of wind stopper and waterproof trousers type Goretex
- 2 pairs of socks : 1 thin and 1 thick
- 1 bed sheet for refuges
- 1 small toiletry bag with 1 fast drying towel
- Cream for sunburns (Biafine)
- Biodegradable toilet paper
- 1 or 2 100L plastic bags and an overbag to protect your belongings and your bag
- 1 waterproof pouch in which you will put your identity paper, your phone, your money and your insurance/assistance contract with all of your emergency numbers
- 1 heavy and compact bag (50/60L backpack) with the minimum necessary for your arrival : leave with your alpinism boots at your feet
- 1 other backpack (under 20kg)
- Personal medicine
- Pain reliever (preferably paracetamol)
- Double skin
- Local disinfectant
- Intestinal antiseptic
- Light sleeping pills
- Broad spectrum antibiotic
- Vitamins C
- Email address of the assistance service : email@example.com
- Telephone assistance : 0033184889773 (the service is available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
- http://vfsglobal.com/russia/france/contact-us.htmlVFS.GLOBAL centralises the visa applications for the french territory
- Most of our accommodations are run by locals, thus ensuring that the largest part of the revenue generated through your trip will stay within the region.
- France is known for its exquisite cuisine. The art of cooking and the joy of eating are part of everyday life. Each region has its particular foods and flavors which we would like you to explore and appreciate.
- Water is a precious and rare good. Our team and those travelling with us are thus advised to use it with consideration and avoid excessive water use where possible.
- Please try to recycle your waste whenever possible, even though recycling may not be a well-known concept in all areas.
- Be cautious and respectful when hiking. Make sure to wear suitable footwear and avoid picking flowers, moving stones or lighting fires.